- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color.
- NoseThe nose is intense and complex with charming scents of cherry liqueur, violet, star anise, dried leaves and blueberries.
- FlavorOn the palate it is well-structured and well-balanced, with smooth tannins and a very long finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2019||James Suckling||89||Jul 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Vinous Media||91||Oct 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||88||Sep 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||90||Oct 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Advocate||93||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||James Suckling||93||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||92||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||92||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine and Spirits||90||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Advocate||90||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Spectator||90||Mar 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 89 Vintage 2019 James Suckling A fresh and fine Barolo with firm tannins that give the young wine lift. It’s medium-bodied with some pretty fruit and a clean finish. Raspberry and strawberry character. Slightly fluid in the finish. Drink in a year or two. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media Davide Rosso's 2017 Barolo is a fabulous entry-level bottling. Bright, translucent and super-expressive, the 2017 is all charm, all the way. Cedar, tobacco, dried herbs and mint lend aromatic dimension. The 2017 is beautifully done. Drink it over the next decade or so. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator Cherry, mint and iron aromas and flavors are tightly wound around a steely core of tannins. Balanced, though this will need a little time to settle down. Shows very good length. Best from 2021 through 2027. 3,750 cases made, 750 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Barolo is a beautiful wine to drink now and over the next few years. Bright, floral and ethereal, the 2016 has so much to offer. All the elements simply fall into place effortlessly. Sweet, perfumed aromatics and silky red berry fruit give this airy Barolo tons of charm. The Barolo is a blend of equal parts Serralunga, Castiglione Falletto and the town of Barolo, a classic mix old-timers favored before the fashion of single-vineyard wines took hold. This is very pretty and delicious for what it is. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2015 Wine Advocate The Giovanni Rosso estate makes some very pretty wines from the Serralunga d'Alba subzone in the Barolo appellation. This classic wine, the 2015 Barolo, provides a good introduction to the distinct taste profile shared by the two single-vineyard wines, Cerretta and Serra, also reviewed here. However, this wine hails from the warm and sunny 2015 vintage and supplies a greater kick of soft cherry fruit and rich concentration when compared to the more streamlined, long-term 2016 vintage. Those dark primary fruit aromas, the acidity and the tannic imprint are all beautifully measured to the enhanced intensity of this pretty and well-priced 2015 Barolo. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2015 James Suckling Dried oranges, rose petals, citrus and fresh herbs. Medium to full body, grainy tannins and a spice-driven, flavorful finish. Drink from 2021. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator Fresh, offering cherry, strawberry, rose and white pepper aromas and flavors. Graceful, yet with ample grip on the long, dense and dusty finish. Captures the best of the vintage. Best from 2022 through 2040. 2,100 cases made, 1,200 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast Camphor, wild berry, blue flower and brown spice aromas lead the way. The taut palate shows cranberry, pomegranate, baking spice and a hint of chopped mint alongside fine-grained tannins and fresh acidity. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2014 Wine and Spirits This wine shows initial developed notes of damp leaves and leathery tannins that, with exposure to air, flesh out to reveal juicy black cherry flavors brightened by a spray of orange peel and brisk acidity. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2014 Wine Advocate The 2014 Barolo is characteristic of the vintage. This is a mid-weight Nebbiolo with bright aromas of candied cherry, cola, licorice and moist potting soil. These aromas come together with careful precision, and although the wine is compact in texture, it leaves a long and satisfying trail of silky, smooth tannins. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2014 Wine Spectator Sweet ripe cherry and strawberry flavors are accented by leather, hay and licorice notes in this light-bodied red, which is balanced and elegant, ending in a moderately long finish. Best from 2021 through 2035. 2,083 cases made, 800 cases imported. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review