Aglianico del Vulture Superiore DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorRuby-red in color with deep purple nuances.
- NoseComplex balsamic aromas with notes of soft fruit such as plum, blackberry, and cherry.
- FlavorStructured and powerful. Elegant with a long, textural finish.
Basilicata At a Glance
Region Name Basilicata
Basilicata, in southern Italy, is a region whose name crops up only very rarely in wine circles. It is best known for red wines from the Aglianico variety and, in particular, the Aglianico del Vulture appellation.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2015||James Suckling||90||Oct 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2013||Vinous Media||93||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2013||James Suckling Magazine||93||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2013||Wine Enthusiast||89||May 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 90 Vintage 2015 James Suckling Leathery, plummy fruit character on the nose. Medium-bodied with fine but quite mouth-puckering tannins that send the palate down a slightly dry path. But the spicy fruit is still holding on at the end. Nice flavors. Very aglianico! Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2013 Vinous Media Notes of camphor and crushed stone give way to bright cherries, blackberries, incense and hints of green curry as the 2013 Aglianico del Vulture Superiore unfolds in the glass. This is silky-smooth and pliant upon entry, with a polished display of black fruits and mentholated herbs, but beneath it all, a mix of saline minerals and fine tannin slowly drenches the palate, creating youthful poise. While still quite structured, the 2013 remains giving and pleasurable today, yet with many more years of development in store for patient collectors. The quality of the vintage and Basilisco’s style of varietal purity truly shine through here. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2013 James Suckling Magazine A fragrant, tangy red with aromas of currants, sour cherries, black truffle, orange zest, dried violets and wild herbs. It’s medium-to full-bodied with creamy tannins and bright acidity. Delicious, juicy finish. From organically grown grapes. Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2013 Wine Enthusiast Feint aromas of blackberry and cherry meld with a hint of rubber on the nose. It's rounded and plush in feel on the palate, filled out by juicy dark-berry flavors. There's a slight grit to the tannins, but they still play well with the fruit, making this a lively, crunchy red. Shelf Talker Full Page Review