Bolgheri Superiore DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color with violet hues.
- NoseThe bouquet on the nose is very intense and complex with aromas of black cherry, mint, dark cocoa, and a pleasant herbal sensation in the background.
- FlavorThe sip is very elegant, rich, full-bodied, and well-balanced, with a nice freshness and silky tannins. Very long fruity and mineral finish.
Tuscany At a Glance
Region Name Tuscany
Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Super Tuscans from Bolgheri are some of the world’s most famous wines and are adored by collectors, and they all hail from the gorgeous region of Tuscany.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2017||James Suckling||94||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||88||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||94||May 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||James Suckling||94||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||93||Aug 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||93||May 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||James Suckling||95||Sep 2018||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||95||Apr 2018||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||94||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 94 Vintage 2017 James Suckling Complex aromas of blackberries, blueberries, licorice, gravel and walnuts. Rich and full-bodied with firm, tight-grained tannins and a velvety texture. Polished and long. Try in 2023. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator This smooth, firm red is infused with plum, black cherry, freshly tilled earth and cigar box flavors. The tannins leave a drying feel on the lingering finish. Cabernet Sauvignon. Drink now through 2028. 4,500 cases made, 90 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot opens with aromas of Mediterranean brush, black-skinned berry and tobacco. The concentrated palate offers blackberry jam, licorice and mocha alongside fine-grained tannins. Drink 2022–2030. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 James Suckling This is a rich and flavorful red with plenty of currant and black-licorice aromas with full body, lots of fruit and a long and flavorful finish. Generous and velvety textured. Drink or hold. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator A broad, ripe style, exhibiting plum, blackberry, tar, wild herb and tobacco flavors. Exuberant, with everything in the right proportions, ending with a long aftertaste of fruit, earth and spice. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2022 through 2038. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore boasts more precision than the 2015, which was a hot vintage noted for being ripe and soft. This one is much more linear and focused. It is sharper and better, and came out as the winner in this group of samples from Campo alle Comete (tasted over the course of two tasting sessions six months apart). You get a lot of dark fruit intensity here with ripe and balanced flavors that span the aromatic continuum from black fruit to spice. My second tasting of the wine showed how much it has fleshed out and taken on volume over the course of those months. The blend is 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot. Some 14,000 bottles were made. This is the first vintage made entirely by Campo alle Comete's new owners. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2015 James Suckling Complex aromas of dark berries, fresh herbs, sweet tobacco and crushed flowers. Very integrated and polished with beautiful fruit and richness. Yet, very reserved and tight. A blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, cabernet franc and petit verdot. Drink in 2022. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast Enticing scents of scorched earth, cassis, new leather, vanilla, truffle and Mediterranean brush abound on this classy red. The full-bodied youthfully austere palate is still tightly wound but already shows mature black cherry, raspberry preserve, licorice and grilled herb set against a backbone of firm fine-grained tannins. Give it time to fully develop. Drink 2022–2030. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator Rich and harmonious, featuring a core of black currant, blackberry and plum flavors shaded by rosemary, thyme and sage accents. A solid structure lends support as this plays out on the long finish. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2021 through 2035. 1,000 cases made, 100 cases imported. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review