Cerretta Barolo DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color with garnet hues.
- NoseThe nose is very elegant and neat with intense notes of red berry jams, wild herbs and chocolate.
- FlavorOn the palate it is dry, fresh, powerful, with thick-yet-polished tannins and a persistent fruity finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||97||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||95||Oct 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||95||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||94||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||94||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||93||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||93||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||92||Apr 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Advocate||92||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine and Spirits||90||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2011||Wine Advocate||92||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 97 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Rose, red-berry, camphor and dark-spice aromas slowly emerge in the glass. Showing Serralunga’s hallmark of firm structure and finesse, the fullbodied, youthfully tense palate delivers juicy red cherry, raspberry compote, dried mint and licorice set against a backbone of noble tannins. Bright acidity keeps it impeccably balanced. Drink 2026– 2056 Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Barolo Cerretta is another impressive wine from Davide Rosso. Ample and resonant in the glass, with terrific freshness, the Cerretta captures all the best the vintage has to offer. Sweet red berry fruit, blood orange, cinnamon, wild flowers and mint emerge from the glass, but only with some reluctance. Time really brings out the wine's textural depth nicely. I would give the 2016 a few years in bottle. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The Giovanni Rosso 2016 Barolo Cerretta is a tight, focused and high-energy expression of Nebbiolo. Red and purple fruit aromas of cassis, dried cranberry and cherry provide pretty highlights, but ample space is given to those equally pretty aromas of licorice, campfire ash and candied orange peel that so deftly play supporting roles. To the palate, this is a glossy, polished wine with enough tannic kick to carry it forward for another 10 or 20 years of cellar aging. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator Fragrant and rich, with a core of strawberry, cherry, floral, mint and hay flavors plying the solidly built frame. The spine of acidity and tannins shuts down the finish, yet the balance is there. Long and satisfying. Best from 2023 through 2040. 800 cases made, 75 cases imported Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator Fragrant and rich, this red offers a core of strawberry, cherry, floral, mint and hay aromas and flavors plying the solidly-built frame. The spine of acidity and tannins quickly shuts down the finish, yet the balance is there. It's long and satisfying. Best from 2023 through 2040. 800 cases made, 75 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast Red berry, eucalyptus, new leather and tobacco aromas lift out of the glass. On the taut palate, firm, fine-grained tannins support tart cherry, blood orange, rusty nail and licorice. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced, but this needs more time to fully develop. Drink 2025–2035. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media The 2015 Barolo Cerretta is a dark, potent wine that captures all the brooding, virile intensity that is so typical of Serralunga. A blast of dark cherry, tobacco, smoke, licorice, grilled herbs, menthol and pine punctuates this decidedly structured, imposing Barolo. Give the 2015 a few years to come into its own. The 2015 is promising. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator Broad, featuring plum, cherry, tar and woodsy flavors, embraced by the dense structure. Tightly packed now, this stays fresh and focused as the finish unwinds. Best from 2023 through 2042. 500 cases made, 50 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2014 Wine Advocate From one of the most celebrated crus in Serralunga d'Alba, the 2014 Barolo Cerretta reveals a delicate but firm personality with pretty, intermingled notes of wild berries and fresh violets. This wine is still very much in a state of primary-fruit intensity with pretty brightness and glossy inner shine. This wine speaks to the most fruit-driven side of the vintage. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2014 Wine and Spirits Flavors of brandied cherry and apple skin take on tones of pipe tobacco and earth as this wine sits in the glass. The brusque tannins and earthy flavors would match well with hearty braised meats or a mushroom ragù. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2011 Wine Advocate The 2011 Barolo Cerretta is well-tamed and elegant, with a lot of ripe fruit and good linearity. It produces dried cherry notes, and overall, I am impressed with its linear elegance. Shelf Talker Full Page Review