Donna Margherita Barbera d’Alba DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color with purple tints.
- NoseThe nose is very intense, with typical aromas of plum, raspberry, blueberry and some delicate wisteria hints.
- FlavorOn the palate it is dry, fleshy and juicy, and very easy-to-drink with vibrant acidity and a long fruity finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2017||Wine Spectator||89||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine and Spirits||91||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||90||Mar 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||89||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2013||Wine Advocate||89||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator Black currant, black cherry and black pepper flavors mingle in this intense, expressive red. It's solidly built, with density and a chalky feel from its tannins on the finish. Drink now. 8,500 cases made, 1,000 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 Wine and Spirits This wine offers exceptional value, hitting all the notes you’d want in a young barbera. Suave tannins wrap around juicy black and red berry tones infused with notes of dark chocolate and subtle spice. Dynamic acidity propels the flavors, drawing them into a long, balanced and vibrant finish. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator A polished, silky version, boasting black cherry, plum, warm loam and spice flavors. Suave and harmonious from the start to the long finish. Drink now. 16,500 cases made, 2,000 cases imported. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The Giovanni Rosso 2016 Barbera d'Alba Donna Margherita shows a slightly aged personality with toasted hazelnut, dried blackberry, dusty mineral and campfire ash. Barbera maintains bright primary fruit for a long time, but this wine (tasting four years after the harvest) is just beginning to show that added complexity of time, especially on the bouquet. In the mouth, however, Donna Margherita is surprising lively, bright and fresh. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2013 Wine Advocate There is a nice bouquet to the 2013 Barbera d'Aba Donna Margherita, with cured meat and dark fruit. It's a pretty wine with big, soft lines and simple tannins. Lots of extra extraction give it a rich, dark color. Shelf Talker Full Page Review