Ester Canale Vigna Rionda Barolo DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- ColorDeep ruby red color with garnet hues
- NoseThe bouquet is complex and sophisticated with elegant notes of violet, roses, wild berry jam, goudron, leather and truffle together with fresh balsamic and spicy hints.
- FlavorOn the palate it is superbe, austere, mouthfilling, with an incredible elegant tension and a long fruity and savoury finish.
Piemonte At a Glance
Region Name Piemonte
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
Press & Shelf Talkers
- Score: 100 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast"This textbook, dream Barolo opens with quintessential aromas of underbrush, rose petal, dried herb and forest berry while the youthfully austere, delicious palate delivers juicy Marasca cherry, raspberry compote, licorice and menthol before a tobacco finish. Noble tannins give it a firm, polished backbone while bright acidity keeps it balanced and imparts ageworthy energy. Drink 2026–2066. " Shelf Talker Full Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Vinous MediaThe 2016 Barolo Vigna Rionda is the best wine Davide Rosso has made from this site yet. Fresh, floral and sensual, the 2016 captures all of the finesse that makes Rionda the Musigny of Barolo. All the elements fall into place in a magical, richly evocative Barolo that shows such grace and class. Rose petal, mint, orange peel and red berry fruit are some of the notes that run through this exquisite Barolo. The 2016 marks a very important step for the evolution of this bottling. Shelf Talker Full Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 Wine AdvocateClosed with a pretty red wax capsule, the Ester Canale Rosso 2016 Barolo Vignarionda is a wine of broad shoulders and wide aromas. The bouquet opens to dark fruit, dried currant, spice, licorice, candied orange and powdered licorice. Like the other wines in this series, this Barolo shows downplayed energy, choosing instead to adopt a slow-to-open and more contemplative or classic approach. This is an expensive bottle but is overall a bit flat. It does award an orderly and compliant interpretation of the mighty Nebbiolo grape. Full Review