Merlot Terre Siciliane IGT
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red
- NoseEarthy and vegetal nose of black olive with notes of blackfruit and ample spices underneath.
- FlavorGood structure with a elegant, welcomingcharacter, and a fruity and spicy lingering finish.
Sicily At a Glance
Region Name Sicily
Sicily is Italy’s southernmost region and the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. For more than 2500 years, Sicily (Sicilia in Italian) has been a significant center of Mediterranean viniculture, although the reputation and style of its wines have changed significantly over that time.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2019||Vinous Media||92||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine Spectator||89||Dec 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Spectator||90||Mar 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||James Suckling||87||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||91||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 92 Vintage 2019 Vinous Media Dusty dark florals, crushed stone, wild blueberries, hints of confectioner’s sugar and flowery undergrowth lift up as the 2019 Merlot Valentino slowly blossoms in the glass. This is youthfully poised yet undeniably elegant, with velvety waves of ripe red and blue fruits coasting along a core of vibrant acidity, as purple-tinged inner florals form toward the close. You hardly notice the grippy young tannins that are slowly taking hold until the very end, as a glycerol-like coating of wild berries and minerals slowly melts away from the palate. The 2019 is not for the faint of heart, but it is an incredibly enjoyable glass of Sicilian Merlot. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2019 Wine Spectator Light, fine-grained tannins frame flavors of ripe black plum and black cherry fruit, cured tobacco and anise in this balanced, medium-bodied red. Fresh finish. Drink now through 2024. 3,000 cases made, 1,000 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2018 Wine Spectator Hints of vanilla and candied violet accent the ripe black plum and black cherry fruit of this medium-bodied red. It's round and balanced, with a fresh tang of acidity keeping it bright and focused to the herb-laced finish. Drink now through 2024. 12,000 cases made, 3,500 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 87 Vintage 2017 James Suckling Lightly raisiny with some dried strawberries, this is a ripe and jammy red with some drying tannins. Old-school. Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Merlot Valentino opens up woodsy and peppery, evolving further to reveal notes of plum and blueberry skins lifted by hints of camphor and sage. Its velvety textures are motivated by juicy acidity, complemented by a mix of tart black fruits, cocoa and an air of tobacco that forms toward the close. Although rich in style, this is refined in feel, finishing long with framing wood tannins and a vivid note of ripe plum. The oak management here is nicely done (the wine spent 12 months in new barriques). Enjoy the 2016 now or over the next three to five years. Shelf Talker Full Page Review