Maiana Salice Salentino Rosso DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorIntense deep red color with purple hues.
- NoseThe nose is fruity, revealing aromas of plum, black fruit, and blackberry jam, with a pleasant spicy sensation of vanilla, tea and amber hints.
- FlavorOn the palate it is rich and full-bodied, with smooth integrated tannins.
Puglia At a Glance
Region Name Puglia
Most Puglia wine is red, full-bodied, and will pair well with a wide variety of foods. Producers in Puglia have focused on making great red wines, and local grapes like Negroamaro, Primitivo, and Bombino Nero make for delicious drinking. Some of the best values in Italian wine come from this sunny, dry region.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2017||Vinous Media||88||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||James Suckling||88||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||88||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Advocate||87||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media Dusty earth notes, wild herbs, crushed cherries and hints of animal musk rise up from the 2017 Negroamaro Maiana. It’s soft, fleshy and a bit rustic in feel, featuring mineral-tinged red and black fruits. Sweet tannins linger long, framing the expression well, as this tapers off to hints of plum and clove. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 James Suckling A soft and easy red with lots of ripe fruit and hints of chocolate. Rather jammy. Medium body. Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Light aromas of peppery spice, violet and cranberry start off this Negroamaro. There's a softness to the feel at first, yet bright acidity quickly brightens up the palate and propels along the flavors of tart red berries. Light tannins and ripe cherry show good resolve on the finish. ALEXANDER PEARTREE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 87 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate There is a nice freshness to the Leone de Castris 2017 Salice Salentino Maiana, a bright blend of mostly Negroamaro with a bit of Malvasia Nera di Lecce. The wine doles out plump, red fruit along with blueberry and raw blackberry. Six months in oak provide it with a touch of bitter almond, but the highlight here is bright primary fruit. Pair it with with lasagna or another cheesy pasta. Some 300,000 bottles were produced. Shelf Talker Full Page Review