San Luigi Dogliani DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorThe color is ruby red with violet highlights.
- NoseThe bouquet is fruit-forward with notes of currants, raspberries, blackber- ries and prunes.
- FlavorThe flavor is well-balanced with sweet tannins and good acidity.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2020||Vinous Media||90||Jan 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2020||Wine Spectator||89||Nov 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2020||Wine Advocate||89||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine Spectator||90||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine and Spirits||90||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Vinous Media||89||Sep 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||89||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Vinous Media||92||May 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 90 Vintage 2020 Vinous Media The 2020 Dogliani San Luigi is fruity, open knit and delicious, with plenty of red cherry/plum fruit character. Bright floral notes perk up the finish. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2020 Wine Spectator Tightly wound, displaying cherry, blackberry, iron and wild herb flavors. Though grippy, the tannins are well-integrated and this should open nicely in 6 months to a year. Best from 2022 through 2026. 7,500 cases made, 4,800 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2020 Wine Advocate This is a classic newbie Dolcetto with raw and tangy sensations of fresh-off-the-tree cherries and forest berries. Dolcetto is loved locally in Piedmont for its ability to pair with appetizers or informal foods served outdoors by the barbecue. The Pecchenino 2020 Dogliani San Luigi is exceptionally bright, exuberant and so much fun. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2019 Wine Spectator Bright and juicy, this red matches cherry, boysenberry and strawberry fruit with lively acidity. A mineral element and light dusting of tannins linger on the finish. Drink now. 7,500 cases made, 4,800 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2019 Wine and Spirits Flavors of dark cherry and raspberry meld with notes of subtle spice and toasted almonds in this easy-drinking dolcetto. It’s lively, inviting another sip. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2019 Vinous Media The 2019 Dogliani San Luigi is a very pretty, floral wine. Crushed flowers, spice and dark red berry fruit give this mid-weight Dogliani a good deal of freshness to match its inviting personality. Drink it over the next handful of years. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Dogliani San Luigi is fresh, fruity and full of near-term appeal. Dark blue and purplish berry fruit, lavender, spice and mint all race out of the glass. The 2018 has a touch of reduction that is typical of Dolcetto. Otherwise, it is very nicely done in a fresh, mid-weight style for the year. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media Pecchenino's 2017 Dogliani San Luigi is rich, radiant and incredibly inviting. Super-ripe, inky fruit, menthol, lavender and sweet spice add tremendous immediacy. The 2017 turns increasingly delicate with time in the glass as it shows off its more nuanced side. This is very nicely done. Shelf Talker Full Page Review