Baffonero Maremma Toscana IGT
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color
- NoseConcentrated dark fruit notes, especially blackberry and blueberry, roses and licorice are among the aromas and flavors that emerge from this great red.
- FlavorFull bodied, rich with velvety tannins. Polish and supremely elegant personality. Lingering aftertaste of sweet fruit, spice and tobacco.
Tuscany At a Glance
Region Name Tuscany
Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Super Tuscans from Bolgheri are some of the world’s most famous wines and are adored by collectors, and they all hail from the gorgeous region of Tuscany.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2018||Vinous Media||97||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Spectator||93||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Vinous Media||96||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||James Suckling||94||Oct 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||91||Oct 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||93||Mar 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||91||May 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 97 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Baffonero is a worthy follow up to the 2017. Whereas so many 2018s lean towards the more gracious end of the spectrum, Baffonero packs quite a punch, albeit in the slightly more restrained style of the year. Inky, exotically ripe dark fruit, bittersweet chocolate, spice, new leather and lavender all build as this exuberant, Maremma red shows off its undeniable allure. Baffonero, 100% Merlot, emerges from a 3.5 hectares planted in 1999, which have recently been supplanted by another hectare or so of vineyards. In 2018, a cool growing season without excessive heat, rare in this part of Tuscany, resulted in a long growing cycle. There was some rain early on, especially during flowering, but that, along with moderate temperatures, helped the vines from going into heat stress, which is always the risk on the Tuscan coast. Harvest for the Merlot was about ten days later than normal. The 2018 was vinified in cement, followed by malolactic fermentation in barrel. Aging was 18-20 months in French oak, about 80% new. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2018 Wine Spectator This red exhibits a savory side as much as dark cherry and plum fruit, revealing wild herb, tobacco and iron flavors. There are also sweet spice accents before this gives way to a tannic grip on the finish. Best from 2023 through 2033. 400 cases made, 100 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 96 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media The 2017 Baffonero is a wild, beautiful wine. Deep, dark and exquisitely layered, with striking inner perfume, the 2017 has been nothing short of fabulous in several recent tastings. It balances power, silkiness and depth with tons of stylishness. Succulent black cherry, mocha, spice, new leather and licorice build over time. The 2017 is easily the best Baffonero yet. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2017 James Suckling Violets, rich black cherries and a melange of fresh herbs. Full-bodied with lots of crushed black fruit and fine, silky tannins that carry light licorice and polished vanilla aromas into a long finish. Classy and young. A little linear now, but delicious. This needs a year or two to settle and expand in every direction. 100% Merlot. Delicious wine. Best in 2022. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator The new oak flavors of resin and smoke, along with dusty tannins, exert themselves in this red, whose black cherry and plum fruit is buried for now. This turns chunky and lightly astringent on the finish, with fine length and a spicy aftertaste. Merlot. Best from 2021 through 2032. 400 cases made, 100 cases imported Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Baffonero (100% Merlot) is a polished, elegant wine that also avoids some of the excesses of previous years. In 2016, Baffonero is perfumed and light on its feet. All it needs is a bit more persistence through to the finish. Perhaps that will develop with time in bottle. Today, the 2016 impresses for its balance and sense of poise. This is a very pretty Baffonero. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast This Merlot opens with aromas of ripe dark fruit, cedar and mocha. The structured palate reflects the nose, offering ripe blackberry, espresso, coconut and plum jam alongside fine-grained tannins. Shelf Talker Full Page Review