Salina Rosso Salina IGP
- Tasting Notes
- ColorRuby red color with purple highlights.
- NoseThe bouquet on the nose is intense and rich, with luscious fuity notes of morello cherry and blackberry, and elegant hints of flowers from the Mediterranean scrub
- FlavorThe sip is well structured and balanced, with a fruity aftertaste. The wine can age well for some years
Sicilia At a Glance
Region Name Sicilia
Sicily is Italy’s southernmost region, and the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. For more than 2500 years Sicily (Sicilia in Italian) has been a significant center of Mediterranean viniculture, although the reputation and style of its wines has changed significantly over that time.
Press & Shelf Talkers
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Wine EnthusiastThis blend of Nerello Cappuccio and Nerello Mascalese from the small island of Salina opens with aromas of red berry, Mediterranean herb and a balsamic whiff of eucalyptus. The savory, easy-drinking palate offers ripe raspberry, star anise and clove alongside smooth tannins. Enjoy soon. Shelf Talker Full Review
- Score: 87 Vintage 2017 Wine AdvocateThis wine immediately transports you to the sun-drenched island of Salina in the Aeolian archipelago, a heavily Mediterranean expression boasting dark fruit and thick lines. The 2017 Salina Rosso is thick and plump at its core, with ripe fruit and a jammy sensation of blackberry preserves and cherry confit. Black olive, sage and Sicilian capers are also part of the wine’s flavor profile. The blend is equal parts Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio, but this wine tastes nothing like the high-altitude volcanic wines of Etna that make use of the same grapes. Although this expression is limited in terms of its depth and complexity, it makes for great, easy drinking. It ends with a little blast of sourness or bitterness that keeps this vintage from scoring higher. Try it with an anchovy pizza. Some 20,000 bottles were produced. Shelf Talker
- Score: 89 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator“A pleasing earthiness underscores this fresh, light- to medium-bodied red, layered with baked cherry and fig fruit, with accents of herb, iron and espresso. This cries out for salumi. Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio. Drink now through 2021. 1,250 cases made, 225 cases imported.” Shelf Talker Full Review