Serra Barolo DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep garnet red color.
- NoseThe nose is intense and complex with scents of wild berries, coffee, licorice, violet and mint. The pleasant balsamic tones will become more and more prevalent over time.
- FlavorOn the palate it is dry, fresh, powerful and neat. Austere at the beginning, it opens up minute after minute, reveling its elegant aromas with a very long finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2017||Wine Advocate||94||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||97||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||96||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||95||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||95||Oct 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||94||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||94||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||92||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine and Spirits||92||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Advocate||92||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2011||Wine Advocate||93||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 94 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate From another prized vineyard site in Serralunga d'Alba, the Giovanni Rosso 2017 Barolo Serra is balanced and bright, with dark cherry fruit, crème de cassis, baked clay and rusty mineral. Those more ferrous aromas are followed by a pretty hint of blue flower or dried lavender. This is a nicely textured, mid to full-weight Barolo to hold in your cellar. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 97 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Underbrush, wild herb, menthol and dark-spice aromas mingle with a whiff of fragrant purple flower on this gorgeous red. It boasts firm structure and finesse in equal measure, featuring juicy morello cherry, raspberry compote, licorice and cinnamon framed in assertive but refined tannins and fresh acidity. A minty note lingers on the finish. Drink 2028–2056. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 96 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The Giovanni Rosso 2016 Barolo Serra shows a dark and richer quality of fruit (next to the Cerretta) with black cherry and plum, backed by clayey aromas with grilled herb and camphor ash. Both these wines are beautifully characteristic of Serralunga d'Alba, known for its powerful and rich interpretations of Nebbiolo. I very much admire the tannic management shown by this wine from the Serra vineyard. It is a little tight and astringent at this young stage of course, but it also shows an inner silkiness that should serve nicely as the wine continues its bottle evolution. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator Shows breadth for Serralunga, along with ripe cherry and strawberry flavors offsetting the burly tannins. Iron, sanguine and tobacco notes add complexity and it finishes with terrific length and a mouthwatering feel. This should come together nicely over time. Best from 2024 through 2050. 500 cases made, 75 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Barolo Serra is an absolutely gorgeous wine. Freshly cut flowers, sweet red berries, chalk, mint and white pepper give the Serra a super-distinctive, bright upper register. Pulsating acids and beams of supporting tannin shape this nervous, taut Barolo. Although it is translucent in the glass, this classically-leaning Barolo has plenty of heft too. It's one of the finest wines I have tasted from Davide Rosso. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator A ripe, supple style, boasting cherry, menthol, thyme and tar flavors. Linear in profile, tightly woven like a quality fabric, and harmonious. The long finish shows potential. Best from 2023 through 2042. 500 cases made, 75 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast Fragrant and savory, this exhibits the muscle and finesse of Serralunga. It opens with earthy aromas of rose petal, new leather, eucalyptus and just a whiff of game. These tones carry over to the taut palate along with dried cherry, pomegranate and licorice. Assertive but fine-grained tannins provide the backbone, while fresh acidity lends balance. Give it time to fully unwind. Drink 2025–2035. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media The 2015 Barolo Serra is plush and forward, with terrific density and quite a bit of immediacy. A rush of sweet red cherry, blood orange, spice, menthol, star anise and cinnamon gives the 2015 its racy, exotic feel. Soft tannins (for a young Barolo) and lush, forward fruit add to its considerable appeal. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2014 Wine and Spirits Davide Rosso’s vines in Serralunga’s Serra cru hug the top of the ridgeline on the east/southeast-facing slope, where the light, calcium-rich soils gave a high-toned wine that shows the buoyant, joyful side of the cool, rainy 2014 vintage. Floral scents and notes of orange peel lift the flavors of red cherry and pomegranate, the wine appealing in the near term, though it has the structure and substance to improve in the cellar. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2014 Wine Advocate From Serralunga d'Alba, the 2014 Barolo Serra is distinguished by extra depth and tightness, especially when you consider those beautifully managed tannins. The mouthfeel is lean and crisp, but despite the weaker concentration and fiber of the vintage, this wine does not lack structure or backbone. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2011 Wine Advocate Here is another very pretty and elegant Barolo from Giovanni Rosso. The 2011 Barolo Serra shows nice harmony and intensity with a great vertical rise of aromas. Shelf Talker Full Page Review