Villa Santera Primitivo di Manduria DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorIntense deep red color with purple hues.
- NoseThe nose reveals rich aromas of plum, black cherry and spices, such as ginger and vanilla.
- FlavorOn the palate it is full-bodied, velvety and well balanced.
Puglia At a Glance
Region Name Puglia
Most Puglia wine is red, full-bodied, and will pair well with a wide variety of foods. Producers in Puglia have focused on making great red wines, and local grapes like Negroamaro, Primitivo, and Bombino Nero make for delicious drinking. Some of the best values in Italian wine come from this sunny, dry region.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2018||James Suckling||91||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||89||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||89||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Advocate||87||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 91 Vintage 2018 James Suckling A fragrant and pretty take on primitivo with dried lavender and violets highlighting a backdrop of dried blackberries and dried oranges. There’s a punch of powerful, ripe tannins to puncture the ripe forest fruit and drive home this full-bodied yet balanced red to a chewy finish. Drink from 2021.j Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Primitivo Villa Santera opens up with musky black cherries and raspberries complemented by white smoke and hints of clove. It’s silky-smooth, almost creamy in feel, lifted by brisk acids, with ripe black fruits offset by savory herbal tones. Notes of mocha and sweet violet florals linger as this tapers off fresh and medium-long. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Aromas of crushed gravel, toasted spice, chocolate and cherry jam display very good depth on the nose. There's levity to the medium-bodied palate, with tangy acidity pushing through the rich blue fruit and red fruit flavors. The tannins are fine and supportive, yet play second fiddle to the vivacious acidity. ALEXANDER PEARTREE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 87 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate I am surprised this vintage is so light on its feet. The Leone de Castris 2017 Primitivo di Manduria Villa Santera, with a solid 14.5% alcohol content, shows snappy freshness nonetheless, which feels right at home in such a mid-weight style. Six months in large oak casks lend notes of smoke, tar and spice. A terrific value wine, you might pair it with an onion calzone. Some 290,000 bottle are made each year. Shelf Talker Full Page Review