Villa Santera Primitivo di Manduria DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorIntense deep red color with purple hues.
- NoseThe nose reveals rich aromas of plum, black cherry and spices, such as ginger and vanilla.
- FlavorOn the palate it is full-bodied, velvety and well balanced.
Puglia At a Glance
Region Name Puglia
Most Puglia wine is red, full-bodied, and will pair well with a wide variety of foods. Producers in Puglia have focused on making great red wines, and local grapes like Negroamaro, Primitivo, and Bombino Nero make for delicious drinking. Some of the best values in Italian wine come from this sunny, dry region.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2022||James Suckling||90||Sep 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2021||James Suckling||90||Sep 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2020||Wine Enthusiast||90||Nov 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2020||Vinous Media||88||May 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine Enthusiast||91||Nov 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||James Suckling||91||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||89||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||89||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Advocate||87||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 90 Vintage 2022 James Suckling Heady ripe raspberries and dried purple flowers on the nose. Medium- to full-bodied with juicy fruit and light tannins. Lingering, intense fruit-cream finish. A suggestion of heat just at the end, but the persistent fruit deals with this. Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2021 James Suckling Rich strawberries and spices to the nose with a fine twist of prunes. Medium body with juicy berries and plums rounded by some nicely chewy tannins. Good generosity to the palate, showing some sweet-sour fruit in a positive, discreet manner. Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2020 Wine Enthusiast A mix of fresh and dried blackberry and dark cherry tones is standard for Primitivo di Manduria, with heady doses of anise, orange and crushed herbs lending depth. The medium-bodied palate shows plush fruit tones matched by a firm grip of velvety tannins and fresh acidity for lasting support. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2020 Vinous Media An herbal blend of sour cherries and dried orange peels wafts up from the 2020 Primitivo di Manduria Villa Santera. It’s silky smooth with a pleasant inner sweetness balanced by zesty acidity and tart red fruits. This finishes with grip yet leaves the mouth watering for more. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2019 Wine Enthusiast This luscious red delivers dense cherry jam and black raspberry tones all wrapped in a framing of toasted fennel seed and sweet licorice. It’s soft, silky and sultry on the medium-bodied palate, with velvety tannins and bright, lasting acidity to lend structure and length to all the fruit and spice tones Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2018 James Suckling A fragrant and pretty take on primitivo with dried lavender and violets highlighting a backdrop of dried blackberries and dried oranges. There’s a punch of powerful, ripe tannins to puncture the ripe forest fruit and drive home this full-bodied yet balanced red to a chewy finish. Drink from 2021.j Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Primitivo Villa Santera opens up with musky black cherries and raspberries complemented by white smoke and hints of clove. It’s silky-smooth, almost creamy in feel, lifted by brisk acids, with ripe black fruits offset by savory herbal tones. Notes of mocha and sweet violet florals linger as this tapers off fresh and medium-long. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Aromas of crushed gravel, toasted spice, chocolate and cherry jam display very good depth on the nose. There's levity to the medium-bodied palate, with tangy acidity pushing through the rich blue fruit and red fruit flavors. The tannins are fine and supportive, yet play second fiddle to the vivacious acidity. ALEXANDER PEARTREE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 87 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate I am surprised this vintage is so light on its feet. The Leone de Castris 2017 Primitivo di Manduria Villa Santera, with a solid 14.5% alcohol content, shows snappy freshness nonetheless, which feels right at home in such a mid-weight style. Six months in large oak casks lend notes of smoke, tar and spice. A terrific value wine, you might pair it with an onion calzone. Some 290,000 bottle are made each year. Shelf Talker Full Page Review