- Leone de Castris
- 50a Vendemmia Salice Salentino Riserva DOC
50a Vendemmia Salice Salentino Riserva DOC
Red wine • 95% Negroamaro, 5% Malvasia Nera di Lecce
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorIntense red colour with garnet hints.
- NoseOn the nose it displays fruity notes of blackberry and black cherry, along with notes of basil and sweet spices due to the refinement in oak barrels.
- FlavorIn the mouth it is smooth and balanced with powerful, but never intrusive, tannins. Long fruity finish.
Puglia At a Glance
Region Name Puglia
Most Puglia wine is red, full-bodied, and will pair well with a wide variety of foods. Producers in Puglia have focused on making great red wines, and local grapes like Negroamaro, Primitivo, and Bombino Nero make for delicious drinking. Some of the best values in Italian wine come from this sunny, dry region.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2019||Wine Enthusiast||91||Nov 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine Spectator||90||Mar 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Vinous Media||90||Feb 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine and Spirits||87||Feb 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||90||Jul 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||89||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||88||Mar 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||88||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 91 Vintage 2019 Wine Enthusiast This bold yet well-balanced red delivers compact aromas of tilled soil, violet, blood orange and crushed peppercorn over a dense brambleberry core. It’s juicy yet broad and densely packed on the palate, framed by bold acidity and velvety tannins. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2019 Wine Spectator A harmonious, medium-bodied red, offering a well-meshed range of black plum reduction, dried raspberry, fresh loamy earth and hints of dark chocolate and sage, all layered with fine-grained tannins and juicy acidity. Drink now through 2028. 5,200 cases made, 1,500 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2019 Vinous Media The 2019 Salice Salentino Riserva opens with black cherry and plum complemented by sweet herbs and tobacco. This is silky-smooth and rich, with ripe dark fruits and exotic spices. The Riserva leaves a staining of primary concentration while finishing lightly structured and energetic. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 87 Vintage 2019 Wine and Spirits A flash of mint brightens flavors of sour plum and dark chocolate. Chewy tannins and peppery spice notes on the finish are a match for chargrilled burgers. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator A harmonious red, medium- to full-bodied, with silky tannins and well-knit flavors of crushed black cherry, espresso crema, violet and spice. A streak of rich, loamy earth is the savory underpinning that emerges on the chewy finish. Negroamaro and Malvasia Nera. Drink now through 2026. 54,166 cases made, 1,000 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Bright, bouncy aromas of red cherry and blackberry carry a sweet spice inflection of vanilla and anise on the nose. This is light in profile yet smooth and supple in feel, with a delicate framing of polished tannins and fresh acidity. Drink in the near term. ALEXANDER PEARTREE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate This wine keeps its traditional label, and this is a statement in itself. Celebrating the 50th harvest, the Leone de Castris 2016 Salice Salentino Riserva clocks in at a modest 13.5% alcohol. It is a medium-bodied Riserva that is almost as stately and subtle as its old-fashioned label. Bright notes of red fruit and cherry are reigned in with earthy tones in a 90-10 Negroamaro-Malvasia Nera di Lecce blend. The 2016 vintage is more withdrawn than past editions in terms of intensity. Serve it under the pergola on a sunny day and picture yourself in 1960s Puglia with a crusty loaf of peasant bread and caciocavallo cheese. An ample 650,000 bottles are produced each year. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator This medium-bodied red is balanced and easy-drinking, offering light tannins and a fresh mix of spice-laced blackberry, dried thyme and pomegranate flavors. Smoke-tinged finish. Negroamaro and Malvasia Nera. Drink now. 54,166 cases made, 620 cases imported. –AN Shelf Talker Full Page Review