Barolo del Comune di Serralunga d’Alba DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color with garnet hues.
- NoseThe nose is very elegant, showing complex tertiary notes of dark cocoa, ripe raspberry, plum and peppery hints.
- FlavorThe sip is extremely polished, rich, well-structured and well balanced with smooth tannins and a long flavorful finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||96||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||James Suckling||94||Aug 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||93||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||91||Oct 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||92||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||90||Apr 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||90||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Advocate||91||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2011||Wine Advocate||92||Apr 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 96 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Iris, woodland-berry and pine forest aromas shape the nose. On the focused, vibrant palate, mint and star anise notes accent a core juicy Marasca cherry. Taut polished tannis and bright acidity provide balance and a firm lithe structure. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 James Suckling Deep, rose-petal notes with licorice, red cherries, kirsch and plenty of spice, as well as a savory edge with cedar and new leather. The palate carries very concentrated red cherries and spiced blueberries with driving acidity drawing ripe, smooth tannins very deep. Impressive power and poise. Try from 2022. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator A tightly-wound style, this red offers cherry and strawberry fruit, along with floral, mineral and tar accents. It's still a little awkward at this stage, but shows excellent length. Best from 2024 through 2045. 1,450 cases made, 125 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Barolo del Comune di Serralunga d'Alba shows the added weight and tannic heft of Serralunga (vis-à-vis the straight Barolo), but it too is done in a mid-weight style that requires minimal cellaring. Iron, smoke, sage, mint and a host of feral nuances are laced into a core of dark fruit. There is plenty of character here, that much is evident. The Comune is a blend of six parcels in town. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast Enticing aromas of pressed rose, cake spice, raspberry compote and a whiff of camphor waft out of the glass on this fragrant, elegant red. The smooth, taut palate is loaded with finesse and tension, delivering juicy black cherry, cinnamon, mocha and a hint of sweet tobacco set against well-knit, polished tannins. Drink 2021–2027. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator Round and balanced, with expressive plum, cherry, tar, iron and tobacco flavors. Taut, ending with dusty tannins wrapped around fruit and earth notes. Best from 2022 through 2036. 1,250 cases made, 100 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media Rosso's 2015 Barolo del Comune di Serralunga d'Alba is laced with essence of dried herbs, tobacco, smoke, licorice, leather and black cherry. There is plenty of Serralunga aromatic depth and muscle, but in a mid-weight style that will be approachable with minimal cellaring. It is another very pretty and nuanced wine from Davide Rosso Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2014 Wine Advocate Starting with a slightly heavier footprint, the 2014 Barolo del Comune di Serralunga d'Alba is a tightly knit wine that is packed carefully with wild berry, cassis and dried cranberry aromas. The fiber of the wine is slightly more robust compared to the annata 2014 Barolo that I tasted in this same flight. These wines by Giovanni Rosso are distinguished by the smooth consistency of their tannins. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2011 Wine Advocate The 2011 Barolo del Comune di Serralunga d'Alba offers spice and broad shoulders, resulting in a big wine with good color concentration and extraction. This is a fully loaded and pretty Barolo. Shelf Talker Full Page Review