- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorIntense ruby red color.
- NoseComplex bouquet on the nose offering notes of wild berries, black cherry and licorice combined with light spices and vanilla acquired during the ageing in wood.
- FlavorTypically austere on the palate, but warm and embracing, with extraordinary persistence and freshness in the finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2019||Wine Enthusiast||94||Sep 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine Enthusiast||94||Aug 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||Wine Advocate||92||Dec 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Spectator||89||Nov 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||James Suckling||94||Aug 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||90||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||James Suckling||94||Aug 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||93||Sep 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||91||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||90||Jan 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||91||Sep 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 94 Vintage 2019 Wine Enthusiast This spicy red opens with aromas of star anise, botanical herb, new leather and forest floor. The savory palate is elegant but also bursting with energy, doling out ripe raspberry, cherry compote and baking spice before a minty close. Taut, fine-grained tannins and vibrant acidity provide great balance and age-worthy structure. Drink 2027– 2039. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2019 Wine Enthusiast This spicy redopens with aromas of star anise, botanicalherb, new leather and forest floor. The savory palate is elegant but also bursting with energy, dolingout ripe raspberry, cherry compote and baking spicebefore a minty close. Taut, fine-grained tanninsand vibrant acidity provide great balance and ageworthy structure. Drink 2027– 2039. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2019 Wine Advocate Enzo Rapalino's La Ganghija 2019 Barbaresco has a point of ripeness with blackberry confit and dried raspberry. The wine shows the typical concentration of the vintage with plump primary fruit and extra concentration. This is a lovely, bigger or enriched Barbaresco that faithfully reflects the qualities of the 2019 growing season. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2018 Wine Spectator A tight, sinewy red saturated with cherry candy, menthol and spice flavors. Moderately intense, with a firm line of tannins on the finish. Best from 2025 through 2038. 2,600 cases made, 300 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2017 James Suckling Ripe-strawberry, walnut, cedar and hazelnut aromas. Full-bodied with chewy tannins. I like how the ripe fruit sits on top of the tannins and oak. Needs time for it all to come together. Try after 2023. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Aromas of rose, forest berry and a whiff of rusty iron lift out of the glass. The linear palate features dried cherry, blood orange and a hint of star anise alongside assertive grainy tannins that leave a drying finish. Drink 2022–2027. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2016 James Suckling Aromas of berries, strawberries and cedar with some hazelnuts. It’s full-bodied with chewy tannins and lots of smoky undertones. Then it opens to strawberries and candied lemons. Fascinating to taste. Give it time to develop in the bottle. Try after 2022. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Leather, tilled earth, grated clove and black cherry aromas take center stage along with a whiff of fragrant blue flower. The taut, velvety palate doles out raspberry extract, ripe cranberry, tobacco and licorice alongside firm acidity and close-grained tannins that leave a drying finish. Drink 2024–2032. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The La Ganghija 2016 Barbaresco offers a classic read of the vintage with balanced aromas of wild berry, dried fruit, licorice, aniseed and camphor ash. If you are looking for an honest and straight-shooting Nebbiolo, this wine offers pretty authenticity and complexity. The tannins are integrated, dry and silky, but the wine should continue its easy aging trajectory over the next 10 years. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator A beefy style, this red shows a beam of cherry, shaded by oak spice, earth and licorice notes. Turns leaner, with dense tannins lining the finish. This will need some time in bottle to relax. Best from 2022 through 2040. 916 cases made, 98 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator Aromas of cherry and cinnamon lead off, followed by flavors of strawberry, cherry, menthol and tobacco. Lean and taut, with fine-grained tannins offering support. Best from 2022 through 2036. 11,000 cases made, 120 cases imported. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review