Brunello di Montalcino DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorRuby red color, which tends to garnet red with ageing.
- NoseVery complex and intense nose, with fleshy fruit aromas, followed by elegant faded violet and rose notes.
- FlavorThe taste is powerful, juicy, with a pleasant vertical freshness and well integrated tannins. Long and fruity finish with lots of berries.
Tuscany At a Glance
Region Name Tuscany
Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Super Tuscans from Bolgheri are some of the world’s most famous wines and are adored by collectors, and they all hail from the gorgeous region of Tuscany.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2016||Wine Spectator||97||Mar 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||95||May 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||95||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||96||Apr 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Advocate||96||Jan 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||94||Jun 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||94||May 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||94||Apr 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Enthusiast||95||Jun 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Wine Advocate||93||Jul 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2014||Vinous Media||93||Mar 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 97 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator Fresh and vivid, this red features cherry, raspberry, plum, floral, black tea and mineral aromas and flavors. The well-defined fruit character is nicely balanced by earthy, savory elements, lively acidity and refined tannins. This is complete, with terrific finesse and complexity. Best from 2024 through 2048. 1,300 cases made, 275 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Aromas of underbrush, rose, wild berry and new leather are front and center. Hailing from Montosoli, one of Montalcino's most revered vineyard sites, the full-bodied palate combines power and finesse, delivering ripe cherry, oak-driven spice and coffee bean alongside firm, close-grained tannins. Fresh acidity keeps it balanced. Give it time to fully develop. Drink 2026–2046. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Baricci Brunello di Montalcino is an experience to behold. The bouquet mixes dark earth tones, crushed stone and animal musk with sweet black cherries and balsamic spice. It’s soft and enveloping, seeming to coat all that it touches in ripe primary fruits, just as a mix of brisk acids and salty minerals penetrate deeply, adding traction to this heady experience. Licorice, sweet herbs and a hint of cocoa resonate through the long and structured finale. With perfect symmetry, and so much upfront appeal, it’ll be hard to keep your hands off; but do yourself a favor, and lose these bottles in the cellar for at least the next five years. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 96 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media Good full ruby-red. Captivating nose combines, ripe red cherry, black plum, minerals, herbs, mocha and sexy brown spices. Juicy and sweet, with refined, suave blackberry, raspberry, minerals and tobacco flavors dominating. Finishes extremely long, with a steely quality, fine-grained tannins and a multifaceted personality. Another great Brunello from Baricci. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 96 Vintage 2015 Wine Advocate The Baricci 2015 Brunello di Montalcino is highly distinguished by its mineral side and that is truly the magic of this wine. There is a pungent note of raw grape at first, but it lifts to reveal forest berry, camphor ash and subtle touches of sweet spice. These elements come together like a tightly fitted mosaic. The wine is balanced and fresh, with just enough structure to add firmness and considerable length to its polished mid-weight frame. In fact, mouthfeel is this wine's strongest suit. Acidity is never a problem in Montosoli, located on the north side of Montalcino where day and night temperature shifts play an important role in slow fruit ripening. This warm vintage shows higher extract, but the overall balance allowed Baricci to bottle using very little sulfur (which could account for that little tangy note you get on first nose). Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator A textbook Sangiovese, in the ripe style, boasting cherry, leather, iron, earth and tobacco aromas and flavors. Firm and lively, with a lingering aftertaste of fruit, mineral and savory elements. Best from 2022 through 2040. 1,250 cases made, 125 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast Subdued aromas evoking underbrush, baked plum and scorched earth form the nose along with a balsamic whiff of camphor. Full bodied and chewy, the brawny, enveloping palate features dried cherry, licorice, coffee bean and the warmth of alcohol alongside firm, noble tannins. Drink 2022–2030. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media Here I’m finding a spicy display, with crushed black cherry giving way to zesty herbs and mineral tones, as hints of cedar, mint leaf, and worn leather evolve in the glass. On the palate, waves of silky textures are carried by brisk acids, as notes of black cherry and spice are carried by brisk acids, with hints of cedar, inner leather, and floral tones evolving and adding depth. The finish is long and structured, resonating on zesty acids and spice, with saturating minerality and fine tannin lingering. It’s a remarkably pretty and perfectly balanced Brunello that will perform beautifully with just a few years in the cellar. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 95 Vintage 2014 Wine Enthusiast Wild herb, perfumed berry and pressed rose aromas lift out of the glass along with a whiff of eucalyptus. Smooth, delicious and balanced, the lithe palate has great tension, doling out juicy red cherry, raspberry compote, star anise and baking spice backed up by vibrant acidity. Silky tannins give it extraordinary elegance and linear structure. It won't take years to come around but it also boasts good midterm aging potential. Drink 2021–2029. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2014 Wine Advocate Like most producers in Montalcino, Baricci saw a sharp decrease in yields in this vintage. Production of the 2014 Brunello di Montalcino was lowered by one-third compared to an average year. Fruit for this wine comes from well-draining soils located on the flank of the Montosoli hill where steady breezes help to keep the vines healthy. This difficult vintage created many dangers for winemakers. The grape skins were thinner and more fragile. Maceration times were shortened as a result. Baricci usually does anywhere from 25 to 30 days of skin contact, but this wine from 2014 only saw ten days. The desired color was achieved, although this wine, like most of its peers, is a little brighter and thinner in appearance. On the upside, any green tannins were avoided, and the wine shows bright berry nuances followed by a polished, silky finish. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2014 Vinous Media Bright medium red. Very pure red cherry, blood orange, nutmeg, cinnamon, minerals and botanical herbs on the captivating nose. Sleek, vibrant, and fine-grained, with a restrained sweetness to the red cherry, balsamic and licorice flavors. Focused and energetic but pliant, with the flavors extended by lively but harmonious acidity. Noble tannins spread out to saturate the palate on the long, multidimensional finish. Probably the 2014 Brunello of the vintage. Shelf Talker Full Page Review