Rosso di Montalcino DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color
- NoseThe bouquet on the nose is rich and complex with aromas of violets, red berries, such as raspberry and red currant, and a fresh hint of red orange.
- FlavorOn the palate it is dry, fresh, full- bodied with smooth tannins. Very long and tasty finish, with a pleasant minerality and flavors of violets and berries.
Tuscany At a Glance
Region Name Tuscany
Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Super Tuscans from Bolgheri are some of the world’s most famous wines and are adored by collectors, and they all hail from the gorgeous region of Tuscany.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2018||Vinous Media||93||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||93||Apr 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Spectator||89||Sep 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||91||Jul 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||89||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Advocate||89||Jul 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 93 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Rosso di Montalcino lifts up with a dark and layered bouquet of dusty roses and smoky minerals, giving way to blackberry, plum and exotic spice. It’s silky and pliant in feel, with depths of ripe red and black fruits offset by cooling mineral tones, while turning more savory and floral toward the close. Round tannins coat the senses under a display of violet florals and lavender. This is a Rosso that dreams of being a Brunello; cellar it for another year or two, and reap the rewards. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media Bright red. Highly perfumed nose offers red cherry, rose petal, violet, tobacco and earth tones, with blood orange nuances providing added lift. Juicy, spicy and sweet, with very concentrated, multifaceted flavours of sour cherry, liquid stones, and candied violet. Harmonious, vibrant acidity lifts and extends the flavors on the supple yet firm finish. Approachable now but structured to age, this exceptionally well-balanced, pure, concentrated wine may well be the best Rosso di Montalcino of the vintage. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2018 Wine Spectator A taut, burly style, whose firm tannins put a strong grip on the cherry and berry flavors. Old school, with flashes of iron, earth and tobacco. Drink now through 2024. 1,500 cases made, 100 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Mature berry, sunbaked earth, underbrush and eucalyptus aromas lift out of the glass along with whiffs of clove. On the full-bodied palate, taut, polished tannins support fleshy black cherry, ripe cranberry and a hint of dried herbs. Best 2020–2022. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator Ripe and supple, featuring plum, earth, spice and tobacco flavors that meld with the moderately firm structure. Shows fine balance and length overall. Drink now through 2024. 1,375 cases made, 100 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate Founded in 1968, the historic Baricci estate is celebrating its 50th anniversary with this set of new releases. The 2017 Rosso di Montalcino impresses for its freshness and purity. There are no overt signs of the hot vintage other than the slightly darker color. Fruit for this wine comes from the property's lower-elevation vineyards but careful canopy management allowed for extra shade to protect the clusters from the scorching summer heat. The fruit is well-balanced with cherry and blackberry, and the alcohol is nicely contained. Shelf Talker Full Page Review