Giacosa Barbaresco DOCG
- Tasting Notes
- ColorIntense ruby red color with garnet hues.
- NoseThe bouquet on the nose is very intense and rich, with aromas of ripe red fruits, like cherry and currant, together with sweet spices and light tobacco.
- FlavorWarm, full-bodied on the palate, with great balance, a pleasant minerality, and a long fruity and spicy finish.
Piedmont At a Glance
Region Name Piedmont
Piemonte is considered by many the top wine region of Italy, being the land of Barolo and Barbaresco, even though these mega-popular wines only account for 3% of the region’s wine production.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||87||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||93||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||92||Oct 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Enthusiast||90||Sep 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Spectator||92||Sep 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 87 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Aromas of rose, forest berry and a whiff of rusty iron lift out of the glass. The linear palate features dried cherry, blood orange and a hint of star anise alongside assertive grainy tannins that leave a drying finish. Drink 2022–2027. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate Here is a rather unusual expression of Nebbiolo. The La Ganghija 2016 Barbaresco Giacosa is redolent of dark fruit, Indian spice, beeswax and a more exotic aroma that I recall from my various voyages to souk markets in my favorite Muslim countries. That savory tone is quite beautiful and elegant, and it is backed by dried forest berry and dusty mineral. This wine is drinking beautifully now, or it could hold longer. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator Macerated cherry, menthol, pine and tar aromas and flavors mark this heady red. Picks up black currant, spice and licorice accents on the long, heady finish. Best from 2022 through 2038. 71 cases imported. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2016 Wine Enthusiast Sawdust, dark-skinned fruit, spearmint and camphor aromas appear in the glass. Smooth and enveloping, the concentrated, full-bodied palate offers ripe black cherry, vanilla and mocha alongside seasoned, solid tannins and the heat of evident alcohol before a licorice close. KERIN O’KEEFE Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Wine Spectator A bright version, featuring black currant, cherry and spice flavors, with licorice, incense and tobacco notes. Tightens up on the finish, where dusty tannins emerge. Best from 2022 through 2037. 2,400 cases made, 50 cases imported. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review