Terre di SAn LEonardo Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorBrilliant ruby red with attractive depth.
- NoseThe aromas are alcohol and fruit-rich when thewine is young, mellowing with bottle aging into ripe plum fruit layered over a faintlygrassy background note.
- FlavorDry, soft and well-balanced on the palate, it reveals a pleasingbitterish twist in the finish. Good aromatic length.
Trentino At a Glance
Region Name Trentino
In the northernmost reaches of Italy, close to the Austrian border, the dramatic landscape is a fitting backdrop to one of the world’s most important wine-producing areas.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2017||James Suckling||92||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||90||Jan 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||92||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||91||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||James Suckling||91||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Spectator||89||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||90||Jan 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 92 Vintage 2017 James Suckling A very elegant, mid-weight Bordeaux blend with delicate red-fruit and fresh-sage aromas and just a hint of bell pepper. I love the interplay of subtle fruit, meaty character and fine tannins through the long, silky finish. Drink or hold. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator An herbaceous red, offering a cured tobacco and spice box character, as well as a tang of iron that underscores the bright flavors of ripe red and black currant fruit with olive and smoke. Light, taut tannins show on the finish. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Carmenère. Drink now through 2027. 8,000 cases made, 1,200 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate This is a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Carmenère with fruit contributions from across the estate vineyard holdings. The well-priced 2016 Terre di San Leonardo is a terrific sounding board not only for the vintage and its classic lines but also for the unique San Leonardo territory and microclimate at the Adige River bed between mountain peaks. The wine opens to a medium-light appearance with dark garnet highlights. The aromas are delicate and soft, with a lot of blue flower and wild rose. A refreshing layer of forest berry and cassis come next, and the bouquet finishes up with mulling spice and smoke. There is a point of sour cherry or cranberry on the finish. This is a large production, with 95,000 bottles. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Terre di San Leonardo Rosso is an excellent introduction to the producer and their style. The wine is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 10% Carmenère from younger vines, yet the same terroir of the flagship San Leonardo. The bigger difference here is in the composition, with Merlot taking a front seat to Carmenère, and in the aging, using a blend of 80% concrete and 20% French oak for a shorter period of time. That said, the Terre di San Leonardo is intended to be the fresher and more immediate wine of the house. Crushed black cherries, wild, peppery herbs, crushed stone and hints of animal musk can be found in the glass. It trades power for tension, displaying a mix of tart woodland red and black berry fruits, complemented by zesty acids and minerals with just a hint of sweet spice. Its structure is present yet doesn’t overwhelm. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2016 James Suckling A lightly herbal red with impressions of dried hay, redcurrants and cranberry pie. Light to medium body, fine yet firm tannins and a medium finish. Drink now. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2016 Wine Spectator Fragrant notes of loamy earth and medicinal herb underscore flavors of ripe red currant and raspberry fruit in this fresh and focused, medium-bodied red. Light tannins show on the spiced finish. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Carmenère. Drink now through 2025. 7,500 cases made, 1,350 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media Very deep ruby. Herbs, tar and spices complicate ripe blue and black fruit aromas on the nose. Then more austere but classic in its cool-climate Trentino style of Cabernet Sauvignon, cedar, graphite and blueberry flavors. The finish is long and flinty, but this tastes a little lean currently; cellaring will help it show better. Shelf Talker Full Page Review