Malandrino Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red color and nuances of ruby red, little transparency.
- NoseThe bouquet on the nose is intense, clean and pleasing, with aromas of black cherry, blueberry, plum, carob and violet followed by pleasing aromas of walnut-husk.
- FlavorOn the palate it is balanced, with agreeable tannins, good body and intense flavors; persistent finish with flavors of black cherry and plum.
Abruzzo At a Glance
Region Name Abruzzo
The Abruzzo region has the Apennines running along its western border, is next to Molise to the south, Marche to the north and Lazio to the west.
More than 22 million cases of wine are produced annually in Abruzzo, making it the seventh most productive region in Italy, but only 21.5% of which are made under the Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) designation.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2021||Vinous Media||91||Jul 2023||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2020||Vinous Media||93||Aug 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2020||Wine Enthusiast||89||Dec 2022||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||92||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Vinous Media||91||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Vinous Media||90||Sep 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||89||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 91 Vintage 2021 Vinous Media Violet and lavender florals give way to sugar-dusted blackberries and spice as the 2021 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Malandrino slowly blossoms in the glass. It's velvety smooth yet lively with crisp wild berry fruits energized by zesty acidity. The 2021 finishes long and staining with a coating of fine tannins that tug at the cheeks as savory spice hints remain. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2020 Vinous Media The 2020 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Malandrino gets an official â€œwowâ€ from the first tilt of the glass as violets and lavender give way to crushed blackberries, blueberries and hints of sweet spice. This is elegance personified, with a juicy core of acidity that enlivens its near-velvety textures and wild berry fruits. It finishes lightly structured, concentrated and long yet perfumed, making the 2020 a pleasure today, but also capable of medium-term cellaring. This is another outstanding vintage of Montepulciano Malandrino which, for all of its depth, has been refined completely in stainless steel tank since the 2012 vintage. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2020 Wine Enthusiast Fun and slightly funkynotes of mushroom, moss, soil and strawberry-fruitleather jump off the nose of this Montepulcianofrom the so-called â€œoven of Abruzzoâ€ made justunder the southernmost glacier in the northernhemisphere. The palate stitches all of this togetherbut adds crunchy red berriesâ€”from strawberries toraspberries to cherriesâ€”and a just a hint of coriander seed that join easygoing tannins and a perceptible but not overpowering backbone of acid for apleasurable expression of the grape and its nativeregion. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media Like a basket of freshly picked berries mixed with wild herbs and violets, the 2018 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Malandrino lifts up, appealing and wickedly fresh. It's silky and pliant in feel, with depths of ripe red and blue fruits jazzed up by zesty acids and salty minerals. Purple-tinged florals linger, along with a pleasant inner sweetness over a layer of fine tannins. There is simply so much pleasure to be found here. A wine for medium-term cellaring. Well done. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 91 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media The 2017 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Malandrino is pretty and poised in the glass, leading off with mineral-laced cherry and blueberry, earthy mineral tones and hints of animal muskiness. It soothes the palate with silky textures, while cool-toned red berries with a salty-savory twang of acid adds tension. This closes long and pure, with hints of grippy tannins balancing its ripe fruit persona, as the mouth waters for another sip. Well done. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media Bright purple-ruby. Fresh and lively red fruit and floral aromas and flavors are complicated by a flinty nuance. Crisp and juicy, the youthfully chewy tannins nicely supporting the fresh fruit flavors. Finishes crisp and long. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast Opaque ruby in color, with dense purple highlights, this red is rich in dark cherry and plum, mixed with tobacco and a hint of rubber. Time in stainless steel and concrete has left the fruit pure and clean, yielding a dark-fruit-coulis flavor on the palate that's brightened up by a brisk line of crushed stone. Well-mannered tannins and integrated acidity lend just enough support. Shelf Talker Full Page Review