Toni’ Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC
- Tasting Notes
- ColorBright ruby red color.
- NoseThe bouquet on the nose is a rich, textured expression of dark fruit with balanced oak and smoky notes.
- FlavorOn the palate it is dry and warm with elegant tannins and medium body; mature fruit notes accompanied by pleasant acidity give this wine a fresh full character, very refined and long on the finish.
Abruzzo At a Glance
Region Name Abruzzo
The Abruzzo region has the Apennines running along its western border, is next to Molise to the south, Marche to the north and Lazio to the west.
More than 22 million cases of wine are produced annually in Abruzzo, making it the seventh most productive region in Italy, but only 21.5% of which are made under the Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) designation.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2015||Wine Advocate||93||Apr 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||92||Apr 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Vinous Media||92||Sep 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2015||Wine Enthusiast||88||Jul 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 93 Vintage 2015 Wine Advocate The Cataldi Madonna 2015 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Tonì is the flagship wine from this historic estate located at the foot of the Grand Sasso Mountain in the province of Aquila, Abruzzo. The Montepulciano grape can sometimes taste broad and one-dimensional. That is anything but the case here. This wine is nuanced and shows depth with a pretty ensemble of dark fruits that segue to spice, moist earth and black licorice. Tonì offers an abundant mid-weight approach with soft tannins. This is a perfect steak wine from Abruzzo if there ever was one. It ages in French oak for 12 months. A mere 3,000 bottles were produced. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media The 2015 Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Tonì is rich, dark and intense, opening with crushed blueberries, plum sauce, sweet oak and violet florals. Its silky textures gain notable energy as they cruise across the senses, aided by vibrant acids and saline-minerality, coming across as ripe yet also quite juicy and fun. This tapers off with a staining of red and blue fruits, a slight twang of black licorice and a lingering note of brown spice. The 2015 Tonì is a great effort in this sun-kissed vintage; we just need to wait a bit longer for its oak to integrate. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2015 Vinous Media Deep purple. Floral red berries and ripe red cherry are complicated by underbrush, tar and herbs on the nose and in the mouth. Suave and seamless, showing very good juicy lift on the long finish. Great Montepulciano d’Abruzzo that avoids the caricatural smoky notes of so many others. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2015 Wine Enthusiast A cherry-coulis tone melds with tobacco and earth on the nose. The medium-bodied palate is bright in acidity, with loads of tangy red-berry flavors alongside tar and iodine. It ends rich in feel, with just enough lift for balance Shelf Talker Full Page Review