Ornello Maremma Toscana DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorDeep ruby red.
- NoseOn the nose it is intense and complex with notes of spices, mint, and chocolate.
- FlavorOn the palate the wine, savory and long, is full-bodied and round with supple and velvety tannins.
Tuscany At a Glance
Region Name Tuscany
Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Super Tuscans from Bolgheri are some of the world’s most famous wines and are adored by collectors, and they all hail from the gorgeous region of Tuscany.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2019||Wine Spectator||92||Oct 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2019||James Suckling||90||Jun 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||93||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Spectator||88||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||93||Oct 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||James Suckling||89||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Enthusiast||88||May 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Vinous Media||93||Mar 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 92 Vintage 2019 Wine Spectator This is dense and tightly wound, with blackberry, plum and sweet spice flavors wrapped up in the robust tannins. There's ample fruit and a vibrant structure that comes together nicely on the finish. Sangioveto, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Best from 2023 through 2030. 5,000 cases made, 3,000 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2019 James Suckling Stewed cherries, plums, vanilla and baking spices on the nose. It’s medium-to full-bodied with firm, fine-grained tannins. Rich, ripe and creamy. Drink or hold. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The Ornello is, once again, one of the more intriguing wines in the range in 2018. Wild berry, sage, lavender and black pepper Syrah accents lend aromatic intensity as well as a good bit of structure to this red. As always, the Ornello has a brooding dimension to its personality that the other wines don’t have. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2018 Wine Spectator Well-marked by toasty oak notes, this red evokes tar, plum, blackberry and earth flavors. A bit burly, with assertive tannins lining the finish. Still has some time to give. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah. Best from 2021 through 2029. 5,000 cases made, 3,000 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator A mix of Tuscan macchia, iron, tobacco and soy flavors swirl around the core of black cherry and blackberry in this expressive, intense red. Solidly built and fresh, with vibrant structure driving the long aftertaste. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah. Best from 2021 through 2033. 4,000 cases made. –BS Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 89 Vintage 2017 James Suckling The brash red fruit here is quite something, ranging from redcurrant jam to brambleberry pie and then a strong herbal note. Big and beefy, it is quite alcoholic, but turns a little jammy on the finish. Drink now, if you like a bold style. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Wine Enthusiast A blend of Sangiovese, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, this has aromas ripe dark fruit, leather and mocha. The dense palate shows mature black currant, espresso and clove alongside assertive tannins. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Vinous Media The 2016 Ornello is once again the hidden gem in this lineup in 2016. Rich and boisterous on the palate, the 2016 offers up serious resonance. The blend of Sangioveto, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah works especially well here. Dark cherry, chocolate, spice and licorice build into the ample, creamy finish. If I could only choose one wine from this range to drink, it would be the Ornello without question. Shelf Talker Full Page Review