Ciampagnis Chardonnay Friuli Isonzo DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorBright straw yellow color
- NoseThe nose is intense with juicy notes of citrusfruits and apple, together with sweet notes of crystalized honey and lemonmeringue.
- FlavorOn the palate it is rich, fresh, medium to full bodied, with a mineraland flavorful finish.
Friuli Venezia Giulia At a Glance
Region Name Friuli Venezia Giulia
In Friuli Venezia Giulia, most of the best vineyards are located in the southeastern part of the region facing Alpine foothills’ slopes. Here the vines benefit from direct sunlight and a complex climatic intersection of the warm Mediterranean influence of the Adriatic Sea coupled with the cooling breezes from the Julian Alps.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2018||James Suckling||95||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Advocate||94||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||90||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Advocate||94||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Advocate||93||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Vinous Media||88||Jan 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||93||Aug 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 95 Vintage 2018 James Suckling Aromas of cooked apple, lemon and crushed stones with some aniseed and licorice. Full- bodied and tight with a powerful structure and mouth feel and a bitter lemon and aniseed finish. Unique. Drink or hold Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2018 Wine Advocate The Vie di Romans 2018 Friuli Isonzo Chardonnay Ciampagnis is beautifully contoured with aromas of peach, melon, honey and passion fruit. The bouquet is perfumed and bright, driving a long finish and silky consistency. Like most of the other whites in this portfolio, it ages on the lees (for nine months, in this case). Instead of oak, it completes this process in stainless steel for an anaerobic environment that serves to capture those direct and linear aromas. The wine concludes with a hint of dusty mineral or crushed stone that ties it to one of the most prominent characteristics of Friuli Venezia Giulia. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Chardonnay Ciampagnis is a wine of contrasts, at once spicy, exotic, sweet and savory. Tropical citrus opens the stage to nectarine and apricot, with notes of candied ginger, white smoke and lifting florals. It’s silky, fleshy and deep, mixing ripe apple and kiwi with zesty green citrus and hints of pineapple. The length here is admirable, swaying from the fruity expression on the nose and palate, and instead showing salty minerals that linger on and on. High energy, full of character and simply gorgeous. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate The Vie di Romans 2017 Friuli Isonzo Chardonnay Vie di Romans opens to a saturated off-gold color with abundant layers of apricot, pear and cantaloup melon. This hot-vintage Chardonnay, aged on the lees for 10 months in French oak, is rich and opulent sporting a full frame and enriched texture. You could pair this beauty with buttered lobster or most dishes involving veal or pork given the power and the intensity of the mouthfeel. Subtle mineral notes frame the rich fruit. Production is 57,044 bottles. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2017 Wine Advocate A production of exactly 43,967 bottles, the Vie di Romans 2017 Friuli Isonzo Chardonnay Ciampagnis sources its fruit from a 7.8-hectare site located just above sea level at 32 meters in altitude. This is the estate's unoaked Chardonnay that remains on the lees for nine months in steel vats. Despite those low-altitude elevations, this wine defies the heat of the vintage with ample freshness and a crisp, linear approach. The wine's intensity comes from the warmth and the sun-kissed temperatures of the vintage that are absorbed so nicely by this variety. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 88 Vintage 2017 Vinous Media Bright yellow-gold. Smoky, spice-accented nose hints at poached banana, yellow melon, and honey, with a hint of chamomile in the background. Fleshy and smooth on the palate, offering slightly chunky orchard and spice fruit flavors. Finishes a little diffuse, but with decent length. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The 2016 Friuli Isonzo Rive Alte Chardonnay Ciampagnis is lean in structure but very citrusy, with ample notes of passion fruit and grapefruit. Most importantly, it has an incredibly snappy style that is just radioactive with energy. This is a memorable unoaked Chardonnay, worthy of a party with hors d'oeuvres of oysters, shrimp and crostini with pâté. Production is 43,865 bottles. Shelf Talker Full Page Review