Dessimis Pinot Grigio Friuli Isonzo DOC
- Tasting Notes
- Pairs With
- ColorSlightly pink in color (ramato style)
- NoseThe nose is fine, with delicate notes ofcrushed flowers, sweet red berries, peach and a hint of citrus fruit.
- FlavorOn thepalate it is fresh with a full body and some tannins that add persistence andstructure.
Friuli Venezia Giulia At a Glance
Region Name Friuli Venezia Giulia
In Friuli Venezia Giulia, most of the best vineyards are located in the southeastern part of the region facing Alpine foothills’ slopes. Here the vines benefit from direct sunlight and a complex climatic intersection of the warm Mediterranean influence of the Adriatic Sea coupled with the cooling breezes from the Julian Alps.
|Vintage||Publication||Score||Review Date||POS Generator|
|2018||James Suckling||96||Nov 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Wine Advocate||94||Feb 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2018||Vinous Media||92||Jan 2021||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||James Suckling||93||Nov 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine Spectator||90||Aug 2020||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2017||Wine and Spirits||90||Dec 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
|2016||Wine Advocate||93||Aug 2019||Shelf Talker||Full Page Review|
- Score: 96 Vintage 2018 James Suckling Beautiful rose-gold color with lots of ripe pear, golden apple, mango and pineapple on the nose. Hint of honey. It’s full-bodied and creamy on the palate with toasted almonds alongside tropical fruit. Smoky minerality, too. Drink or hold. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 94 Vintage 2018 Wine Advocate The Vie di Romans 2018 Friuli Isonzo Pinot Grigio Dessimis boasts a pale copper color with amber and peachy pink highlights. This vintage is not as wide or as texturally generous as the 2017 vintage also tasted in this report. However, the 2018 offers lifted, sharp fruit that is delineated and pure. Those subtle mineral nuances also appear with more clarity. There is tart berry, white cherry, wild mint and bitter almond. I also taste a mild tannic crunch. That structure comes from extended maceration on Pinot Grigio skins, as does the wine's pretty color. It would be interesting to check in on its evolution in five year's time. The wine ages on the lees for two months in French barrique. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 92 Vintage 2018 Vinous Media The 2018 Pinot Grigio Dessimis is a pleasure to taste and also to look at with its beautiful orange, almost-amber color. Notes of dried apricot and peach take on a yellow citrus twang, with hints of almond paste adding an alluring richness. It’s textural and soothing on the senses without a hard edge in sight; instead coasting effortlessly across the palate with ripe orchard fruits, young mango and a hint of exotic spice. An inner sweetness lingers with an air of brown butter and hazelnut. The Dessimis is matured all in stainless steel and takes its color from spending ten months on the fine lees. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2017 James Suckling A beautifully colored and intense pinot grigio with sliced cooked apples and peaches and hints of watermelon and almonds. Full body. Very creamy texture and a flavorful finish. Drink or hold. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2017 Wine Spectator Pale copper in color, with a pretty, aromatic profile of ginger, cardamom, graphite and leather notes. Flavors of baked white cherry and blood orange peel are backed by tangy acidity. Drink now through 2023. 4,000 cases made, 500 cases imported. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 90 Vintage 2017 Wine and Spirits This is a rich and flamboyant pinot grigio, its juicy flavors of pale strawberry and peach overshadowed by notes of toasted nuts and spice from nine months in barriques. The warm, weighty finish is refreshed by balancing mandarin-like acidity. Shelf Talker Full Page Review
- Score: 93 Vintage 2016 Wine Advocate The 2016 Friuli Isonzo Rive Alte Pinot Grigio Dessimis is classified as a white, but it is really a ramato, or copper in color, reflecting the real color of this grape's skins. Slightly reductive in nature, it brings out notes of cranberry and bright cassis with some white cherry as well. It was fermented in steel and aged on the lees in barrique. This is a very interesting wine that would make a good pairing with sliced porchetta. Exactly 52,286 bottles were released. Shelf Talker Full Page Review